Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lake Washington loop - oops (61.6 mi)



So, it's probably a good idea to bike with a map.  Richard and I planned on biking around Lake Washington but overshot the north end a bit when we met up with a trio of riders riding in a pace line.  They were probably pushing 19-20 mph but we hung with them for about 7 or 8 mi.  Oh well, at least now we can say we've got a metric century under our belts.  We both rode with two water bottles.  One with water and one with Gator-Ade.  I think we stayed hydrated pretty well.  We were eating shot blocks and Lara Bars to manage our sugar levels.  They did not work so well.  After about 40-50 mi, our legs were in pain - not so much from exertion, but more from ammonia build-up due to our muscles running out of glycogen.  I've read that taking whey protein helps with this problem.  I definitely want to try that next time.  Hammer makes a product called Perpetuem that incorporates protein and electrolytes.  I will be picking some up from REI soon.  Other than the ammonia problem the ride went pretty well.  I didn't ever feel like I wasn't taking in enough calories.  Also, the hill at the end to get back up on Capitol Hill was murder.  I probably should have gone back to Montlake and attacked it from that side - it's a little more gradual - but no, I had to go up Madison.  Insanely steep.  Even with fresh legs it would have been hard.




2 comments:

  1. goddamn, this is badass. what did you use for the mapping & elevation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mapmyride.com

    The interface can be a little annoying at times, but it is a good tool.

    ReplyDelete